[Edge-computing] Distributed systems first blog post

Ildiko Vancsa ildiko.vancsa at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 02:36:02 UTC 2021

Hi,

Thanks Adrien and Bogdan for chiming in with reviews and comments.

I typed up this first blog post of a mini-series around distributed systems to be a bit controversial. It is also intended to highlight challenges, such as the parts that you mention with centralization.

> On Jul 29, 2021, at 04:56, Bogdan Dobrelya <bdobreli at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi, @Ildiko, thanks once again for this draft. @All, It is still not clear whether the ''centralization'' word is clear (in particular in this sentence, "... we will need autonomy and centralization..."
>> By centralisation here we mean that we would like to be able to administrate/use all edge sites (or edge areas) like if it was a single DC. However this ''centralisation'' can be implemented in different manners. Would it be possible to qualify this term or to make it clear that it is not a centralized system as such (i.e. a single point of failure with all well known limitation such as scalability etc.)?
>
> How about 'autonomy and hierarchical control loops'? That doesn't bring the notion of centralisation but rather subordination.

I think there is desire to have the ability to manage your whole system like it was a single DC, even if it’s not realistic. This is what I wanted to indirectly point out with the phrasing how it is right now. We’ve also went into discussing the single-pane-of-glass type of management solutions, but I didn’t want to add that here just yet as then it would end up being a longer piece that we would need to spend more time on to agree.

I would love to go into the discussion about hierarchical solutions in the upcoming pieces as well as on our weekly calls and on this thread. I think it is a great continuation to look into how the desires can be addressed in reality.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ildikó