[Openinfralabs] What operational data and data streams should be gathered?

Michael Daitzman msd at bu.edu
Thu Apr 16 01:14:38 UTC 2020

TL;DR:

As we think about making operational data from the Mass Open Cloud
<https://massopen.cloud>available to the open source community, we need
to define what data and data streams will be useful and gathered.

This email is meant to begin a discussion and define that.

TS;WM:

Some context - the Mass Open Cloud (MOC) is a research cloud formed as a
public-private partnership between 5 Research Universities, a group of
partner companies, and the state of Massachusetts.

The MOC has always had a goal of sharing operational data about the MOC
to enable research on cloud computing technologies.

As teams working on OI Labs projects began discussing operational data,
one question was, “can the MOC share that data to the open source
community?”

To a great extent, this becomes part of a “Research Compliance” question
and may be affected by various grants which have funded the MOC (good
news - in almost every grant the PI’s have made clear that data sharing
is a goal).

As we looked into making such information available, I had a brief
discussion with the director of BU’s Research Computing group who helped
frame how we should approach this question. The first steps are:

 1.

    Defining what data and data streams will be useful and gathered is
    the first step

 2.

    Based on that we may identify which populations may be affected

 3.

    Decide on the next steps based on the answers to item 1 and 2 above