[Openinfralabs] OpenInfra Labs Branding

James Cole james at openstack.org
Fri Jun 5 18:41:12 UTC 2020

Hi again everyone!

Some time has passed since we last talked about logos, so I wanted to share some ideas I've been working on and gather any thoughts you might have about them.

This is one of those tricky projects that might be too complex to adequately distill into a symbol, so I approached it from a more abstract perspective. Two of these ideas play off of the "labs" part of the name as a nod to the academic heritage of the project and use laboratory equipment as the primary icon.

The first concept depicts a microscope examining 3 blocks, meant to represent code or data. It symbolizes the observation of software in test environments. The second depicts a test tube in a circle, loosely resembling and O and I for OpenInfra. The third concept breaks from the lab concept and focuses more on the idea of testing, using a check mark and X inside a square.

These are all fairly simple, but I wanted to throw a couple of concepts out there to see what people think.

Please let me know your thoughts!

James Cole
Graphic Designer
OpenStack Foundation