[Rust-VMM] [Rust-vmm] Goals for this list

Paolo Bonzini pbonzini at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 11:38:27 UTC 2019

On 26/02/19 10:09, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
>> But if we can find some mechanisms to communicate the MSI vectors
>> chosen by the guest kernel down to the hypervisor about a device,
>> we could definitely get rid of IOAPIC, hence reaching the end goal
>> I'm talking about here. Just note that ACPI would be a good way for
>> the guest to communicate those information with the VMM.
>
> Would a new ACPI mechanism really be any easy than some really basic
> PCI?  You don't really need to provide a true PCI hierarchy or
> anything.

Yeah, I don't see the problem with configuring MSI via the PCI
configuration space.  Being able to use MSI is just one more reason to
drop virtio-mmio and switch to virtio-pci.

(Without IOAPIC, the PCI devices would not be able to serve INTX
interrupts, but that's not a problem for most modern devices).

Paolo