[Rust-VMM] Proposal for contribution and crate approval process

Peng, Chao P chao.p.peng at intel.com
Wed Feb 27 12:49:56 UTC 2019

Sounds like a good process to start with.

Meanwhile my feeling is that we need a high-level project-wide design first. The reason is that the creates are not really standalone projects. They are closely related and most likely they will form up a single binary from user' point of view. They should be well designed from the high-level at the very beginning.

To me, we'd better design the project from the user point of view: it's a single project as a whole. The division of the codes into creates is OK, but that's just kind of internal thing for the project. Also every designed creates should meet some release criteria otherwise a failure in one creates may result the failure of the whole project.

There are several things we can start with:
- Discuss #14(https://github.com/rust-vmm/community/issues/14) to come up a 'must have list' that will be included in the first release.
- Come up a project-wide high-level design. For example:
        how to divide the creates
        how to abstract the common code
        how creates interact each other and come up possible traits definition
        what interfaces we want to expose to users...
- Discuss how code/doc/test will be organized
- Define process/work flow/governance...

But even before those, we need understand and write down our requirement clearly so everybody involved will be on the same page.

Just my thoughts. Welcome for further discussion.

Thanks,
Chao