[Rust-VMM] Rust-VMM Logo Concepts

James Cole james at openstack.org
Wed Jun 19 18:05:51 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all your feedback on the last round of logo ideas. As someone in a non-technical role, your expert perspectives have been really helpful when designing. Before going too far down any rabbit trails, I wanted to update you on some logo progress.

After our last email exchange, I decided to scrap a majority of my concepts because some were too similar to Ubuntu’s mark and others were a little too generic. While the epicyclic gear idea generally seemed to have the most potential, gear icons have come to represent very unspecific things like system settings or unrelated things like bicycle shops and manufacturing. A gear might also introduce confusion between Rust-VMM and the Rust programming language, which uses an R inside a gear as its primary symbol. It seemed like a worthwhile exercise to try something different.

One problem with any iconographic representation of this project is that the functionality is too complex to distill into a simple visual symbol. I emailed Andreea Florescu for some advice and further explanation about the project, and she suggested thinking about Rust-VMM as a sort of collection of puzzle pieces.

After a lot of iterations, I came up with an R icon that is constructed from puzzle pieces. It is simple, easily recognizable, and doesn’t depend on the functionality of the project to make conceptual sense. I’ve mocked it up in a few different ways to show how it could live on a shirt, sticker, and as a GitHub avatar.

I would love to get your feedback on idea in the attached PDF and if you think something like this could work. The PDF is also available online here. <https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtpywxlqecfu7o2/Rust-VMM_LogoConcepts_R2.pdf?dl=0> Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you!

James Cole
Graphic Designer
OpenStack Foundation