[Rust-VMM] CI presentation

Florescu, Andreea fandree at amazon.com
Thu Mar 7 16:05:04 UTC 2019

Hey Rob,

Thanks for putting together this presentation.

I have some comments in terms of supported platforms:
- Firecracker also has AMD in the roadmap so ideally we would like the crates to be tested on AMD as well.
- I am slightly against using nested virtualization for the CI. Maybe it is appropriate for some crates, but it is not one a catch-it-all solutions. I might be biased here, but we should probably test on bare metal instances so we can be as close as possible to a production setup. Also, I have some concerns around performance testing on nested-virt. Amazon can offer some bare metal instances for the rust-vmm CI.

I am not very familiar with Jenkins and I have some questions:
1. Does Jenkins take care of a clean environment for each run (either PRs or merges)? Do we have to implement our own methods to insure that? In the Firecracker CI we are always starting a new instance to run the tests. On that instance we do not have anything pre-configured. Every dependency lies in a container and that's how we make sure we are always testing all PRs in the same manner.
2. How easy is it to have smoke testing? I would put `cargo build --release` as a smoke test as we shouldn't want to run all tests in case the build doesn't work.

Also, what are your thoughts around coverage? I didn't find any CI tool that can enforce coverage doesn't drop on PRs when the crate requires access to /dev/kvm. Coveralls[1] doesn't seem to have support for Rust. Codecov[2] might be a good candidate, but I failed to understand how to make it run on a bare-metal instance. To be fair, I also didn't spend a lot of time trying to understand it.

Thanks,
Andreea

[1] https://coveralls.io/
[2] https://codecov.io/