[Rust-VMM] Crate Addition Request: CPU model

Paolo Bonzini pbonzini at redhat.com
Mon Mar 11 13:39:42 UTC 2019

On 11/03/19 02:31, Yi Sun wrote:
> ## Crate Name
>
> 'cpu-model'
>
> ## Short Description
>
> A crate to provide a generic framework which has standard interfaces
> and flexible mechanism to support customized CPU models.
>
> ## Why is this crate relevant to the rust-vmm project?
>
> Customized CPU model is necessary because of below reasons.
> 1. Avoid CPU hardware vulnerabilities.
> 2. Keep stable guest ABI.
> 3. Hard requirement for live migration.

What is in the definition of a CPU model?  I would expect stuff like:

1) converting CPUID leaf (eax+ecx)/register/bit from and to a string

2) converting MSR bit from and to a string

3) dependencies between CPUID leaves and from CPUID leaves to MSRs

4) XSAVE area offsets

5) dependencies between CPUID leaves and XSAVE areas

Anything else?

Paolo