[Rust-VMM] Rust-VMM Logo Concepts

Jonathan Bryce jonathan at openstack.org
Wed Mar 20 20:11:17 UTC 2019

> On Mar 20, 2019, at 12:41 PM, Matt Wilson <msw at linux.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 5:59 AM Allison Randal <allison at lohutok.net> wrote:
>
>> The Rust-VMM community is just forming, so I wouldn't expect they will
>> want or need anything more than a fun logo for laptop stickers at the
>> moment. They certainly have the option of doing more formal things with
>> the logo later, but they don't have to decide all that now.
>
> I think it's great to encourage the formation of a community's identity.
> Stickers are a nice way to get people engaged. At this stage I'd welcome
> anyone who wants to do art for fun as part of a contribution to this
> community. Personally I also wouldn't complain if lots of people make
> lots of stickers that include the name "rust-vmm." I wouldn't care if
> people wanted to keep the rights to their designs and be the exclusive
> seller of stickers. Others that are active in actually building the code
> might have a different opinion.
>
> I would just ask that all contributions to an open source
> project come with very clear usage rights. Code is not the only thing
> that needs a license. This community should not accept a code contribution
> without clear intent of the contributor in the way of explicit license
> or a patch to an existing licensed file.
>
> Please do the same for other contributions like art, if they are
> intended to become
> part of the community.

In terms of usage rights, we work as community members to contribute under the license a community likes to use just like any other contributor would. For art or other non-code it's usually some variation of Creative Commons: CC-BY-SA, CC-BY-NC, or CC-BY-NC-ND depending on the desires for re-use, commercial use, etc like you mentioned previously. Ironically, James and I had chatted about it before he sent his email and decided to leave the initial email focused on creative feedback vs licensing.

> [1] https://www.openstack.org/brand/openstack-logo/

This is a set of agreements specifically for the OpenStack logo itself, which I consider a very different animal since it has a lot of direct commercial use in a multi-billion dollar ecosystem of products and services built around the various projects.

Jonathan