[Rust-VMM] Adding ARM support to kvm-ioctls

Dylan Reid dgreid at chromium.org
Mon Mar 25 22:48:10 UTC 2019

On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 9:06 AM Florescu, Andreea <fandree at amazon.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I sent an email to Zach as well a couple of day ago.
>
> Let me just copy paste parts of the email here in case somebody else from CrosVM wants to take a look at the PR. Hopefully this will help in the review process.
>
> The kvm-ioctls crate doesn't yet have all the functionality that you need in CrosVM, but I was planning on adding that in a following PR as this one is already quite large already.
> Some notable changes from the CrosVM kvm crate:
>
> - Kvm, Vcpu and Vm do not have a public constructor anymore. The Kvm class implements a create_vm method and the Vm class implements a create_vcpu method. I did this change so we can have the same separation of ioctls as found in the KVM implementation.
> - Each ioctl group lies in a different module, but that should not have any impact on how you use it because the ioctls are exported with pub use iocts::system::* and so on.
> - I use the io::Error instead of errno.rs. One of the reasons is the one we discussed about in the call (pretty printing errors). The other reason is that the vmm-sys-utils crate is not available for import just yet.
> - The crate does not depend on EventFd and uses a RawFd instead.

Sorry that we've been less than responsive. It's a busy time of year
for Chrome OS and allocating resources to these reviews is
challenging.

Generally, departures similar to those listed here are acceptable. As
long as the new crates avoid external dependencies such as nix, rayon,
etc. it won't make crosvm integration harder.

Don't let a lack of review from crosvm block progress on the initial
crates. It's more important to get something landed than for the first
pass to be perfect. There will be a few iterations before we have both
firecracker and crosvm rebased on top of the new crates. Hopefully we
retain flexibility before we push these interfaces to a 1.0 release.

Thanks,

Dylan