[Rust-VMM] Call for Google Summer of Code 2020 project ideas

Florescu, Andreea fandree at amazon.com
Wed Jan 15 13:52:57 UTC 2020

I've removed the other email lists (trying not to spam everyone).

I tried to think about a project for rust-vmm, but nothing really interesting comes to mind.
My personal opinion is that right now it is a bit difficult to find a project in rust-vmm that it's self contained and does not require tribal knowledge about how are these crates used.
We also are not doing quite well on providing timely reviews for PRs, so I guess having a student writing a component from scratch is going to cause frustration as the chances for getting it merged under 12 weeks is very low.

This is not the most interesting project, but I was thinking about some improvements around the rust-vmm-ci.
I am getting quite annoyed with how the rust-vmm-ci works (I wrote it, sorry :(). I was thinking about a few incremental improvements as follows:
- Provide a framework for running all the tests on a development machine. Right now you cannot check that your code doesn't break anything unless you post a PR and let Buildkite run all the tests. I also created an issue regarding this: https://github.com/rust-vmm/rust-vmm-ci/issues/13
- Add tests in the CI to check for the appropriate format of the commit message. See: https://github.com/rust-vmm/rust-vmm-ci/issues/9 and https://github.com/rust-vmm/rust-vmm-ci/issues/14
- Licensing and security tests: https://github.com/rust-vmm/rust-vmm-ci/issues/8 and https://github.com/rust-vmm/rust-vmm-ci/issues/15

What do you think? Should I write a proposal for these kind of improvements?

Andreea