[Rust-VMM] [Action Required] rust-vmm sync meetings

Alex Bennée alex.bennee at linaro.org
Wed Mar 3 09:31:41 UTC 2021

Florescu, Andreea <fandree at amazon.com> writes:

> Hey everyone,
>

> Thanks for responding to the poll.
>
> I must admit it looks a bit like an impossible mission to schedule a meeting in which most community members are available.
>

> To allow everyone to join the sync meeting at least from time to time, what do you think about the following proposal:
>
> - one sync meeting happens from 10-11 AM CET (this was the most popular choice in the poll)
>
> - the next sync meeting happens from 5-6 PM CET (this was the choice
> where most people that did not vote for the first choice were
> available)

This seems a very reasonable approach IMHO.

> The schedule for the next 4 meetings would be as follows:
> - on 2021-03-08, we meet at 10 AM CET
>
> - on 2021-03-22, we meet at 5 PM CET
>
> - on 2021-04-05, we meet at 10 AM CET
>
> - on 2021-04-19, we meet at 5 PM CET
>

> Hope that makes sense.
>

> I would also be interested in finding out if you know of how other
> open source communities are handling this kind of sync meetings, and
> if there is another approach that we could take.

In my experience (Linux/QEMU) most community syncing is in fact very
asynchronous. The more dispersed your development community the harder
it is to have everyone be awake at the same time. For QEMU there is a
nominated conference call slot every two weeks but it only happens on a
very much ad-hoc basis if there is something that merits discussion that
needs a tighter feedback loop.

In Linaro when we want to sync on something between US/Europe/Asia it
generally means someone is either getting up super early or staying
online later than usual. It does tend to ensure the meeting is worth
having as no one wants to mess with their body clock for something that
isn't interesting to them.

The QEMU project has a fairly active IRC channel but nothing beats email
for getting a wide consideration of a proposal. On the flip side it does
present a barrier to entry for new contributors who generally don't have
the very streamlined email workflows of the old timers. As we slowly
progress to having a more forge like approach to our patch workflow we
have already discussed the importance of keeping the same email
accessibility we have now with our old school lists and archives.

> Before scheduling the recurring meeting, I'll just wait a couple more
> days to see if other people have any other ideas on how we can handle
> this.

Will this be a group HO/Zoom/Other?

--
Alex Bennée