Making Progress with OpenDev Governance

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Thu Apr 9 20:27:06 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

It is time to talk governance and start to formalize membership in the structures defined in our documentation [0].

For the Advisory Board my plan is to reach out to specific individuals in our various constituent groups that are likely to be willing to coordinate their representation.

For the PTL position consider this a call for volunteers. If you  are interested, please indicate that interest via email to this list. I figure we can give it until the end of April to solicit volunteers and if we have more than one can do a condorcet election. Normally I wouldn't suggest so much time, but I think with the transition in communication platforms as well as global pandemic a bit of extra time is warranted.

I'm happy to continue [1] to fill this role, but I'm also happy for someone else to take over. Having a rotation seems like a good thing overall, and its starting to feel like we're at a point in the OpenDev transition that we can make changes without much disruption.

The way I've been treating the role is its a bit like being a project manager, particularly as we've got quite a few irons in the fire. However, there are probably other ways to approach it, too. Managing core team membership, spec reviews, and incorporating the Advisory Board into decision making will be the specific duties.

[0] https://docs.openstack.org/infra/system-config/project.html#governance
     Note I have changes up to move this to docs.opendev.org as well as retheme with Alabaster.
[1] If you consider the OpenStack Infra PTL position to roughly map
    onto this new role.

Let me know what you think,
Clark