Extracting bug metrics from Launchpad

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Apr 17 18:22:16 UTC 2020

[I've left Bruce in the Cc for my reply as he does not seem to be
subscribed to this mailing list.]

On 2020-04-17 17:44:05 +0000 (+0000), Jones, Bruce E wrote:
> I'm being asked by management to provide bug count metrics for the
> StarlingX project.  Our LP instance is at
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/starlingx.
>
> They are looking for things like "average age of closed bugs", "#
> bugs closed per week" and so on.
>
> There doesn't seem to be a way to gather this kind of data from
> Launchpad.  Some of the items needed like "bug creation date"
> aren't visible in the UI and may not exist in the database.  I
> can't search using date ranges in the advanced search.  If I could
> export all of the bug info into a spreadsheet I could just pound
> it out, but I can't see how to do that.
>
> Even better would be to extend our project's bitergia page
> https://starlingx.biterg.io/ to show some of these metrics.  But
> I'm not sure how to do that or if it's even possible.
>
> Thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you
> in advance!

OpenDev doesn't operate Launchpad (nor maintain your Bitergia
dashboard), so the most we can really do is provide suggestions.
Launchpad has an extensive HTTP API which is documented here:

https://launchpad.net/+apidoc/devel.html

The entry on the "bug" collection object indicates that
"date_created" is one of the attributes it provides. You can see
examples of how we interface with Launchpad's API for some code
review integration here:

https://opendev.org/opendev/jeepyb/src/branch/master/jeepyb/cmd/update_bug.py

As a convenience we rely on the launchpadlib package from PyPI:

https://pypi.org/project/launchpadlib/

Hopefully that helps?
--
Jeremy Stanley