Retiring the katacontainers tenant

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Mon Aug 3 13:37:01 UTC 2020

Hi!

As you may know, the Kata Containers project has no intent to add jobs
to its Zuul tenant to drive its GitHub-based development. We originally
set up two jobs (a DCO check and a WIP check) there as an experiment to
drive more adoption. Since this did not succeed in convincing them to
use more Opendev tooling, those jobs were migrated to GitHub actions a
couple of weeks ago, and as a result Zuul no longer runs jobs for Kata
GitHub repositories.

I'm wondering what's the proper way to retire the katacontainers tenant
and zuul job repository (kata-containers/zuul-config).

I suspect removing the tenant is as simple as clearing out the tenant
definition in project-config:zuul/main.yaml. However there might be a
catch-22 there for the retirement of kata-containers/zuul-config.

I was thinking about these steps:

1- Push a closing commit to kata-containers/zuul-config (that will
remove the job definition for zuul-config itself, but IIRC config
projects are not self-testing, so this should work ?)

2- Rename kata-containers/zuul-config to x/kata-zuul-config to clear out
the namespace from https://opendev.org/explore/organizations (or should
it just be left in place?)

3- Remove the katacontainers tenant definition from
project-config:zuul/main.yaml (or should that be run before (2)?)

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)