[service-announce] Temporarily blocking AS4837 (China Unicom) from Git

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sun Jul 5 17:38:14 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-05 13:29:36 -0400 (-0400), Mohammed Naser wrote:
[...]
> Have those blocks been removed or are they still in place?
[...]

Still in place for the moment, we were planning to revisit the
situation tomorrow. A quick look at the graphs suggests the problem
activity may have trailed off around 03:00 UTC yesterday with a
brief resumption for 12:30-14:00 UTC yesterday. There's a new spike
starting at 17:20 UTC today (a few minutes ago) but I'm not in a
position to check whether the actual requests match the ones we were
getting last week.

Ian worked out configuration management for an Apache proxy in front
of each of the Gitea servers which we can activate to start
performing user agent based filtering of future requests, which even
though it's additional complication for the service still seems
preferable to blocking every customer of the largest ISP in China.
--
Jeremy Stanley