Forming the OpenDev Advisory Board

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Mon Jun 22 21:06:27 UTC 2020

On Thu, May 21, 2020, at 11:40 AM, Clark Boylan wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've BCC'd potentially interested parties to ensure they get this
> email, but didn't CC to avoid putting too much pressure on them if I've
> gauged potential interest poorly. I'm also sure that this list isn't
> complete. Please share it with others that may be interested.
>
> One of the governance bodies that we've described is the OpenDev
> Advisory Board [0]. The purpose of this group is to work with the
> OpenDev admins to ensure that project and resource provider needs are
> being met. Through this group OpenDev can communicate important
> updates, manage load on cloud resources over time, and plan for future
> needs. I'm also hopeful that it can serve as a conduit for our
> collaborating constituents to find time to help administer OpenDev as
> well.
>
> We would like to welcome both projects consuming OpenDev resources and
> OpenDev resource providers to join the Advisory Board. The OpenDev
> admins don't want to prescribe how various groups decide who represents
> them as what works for OpenStack may not work for Zuul or Vexxhost. I
> don't expect this will be a large time sink, more that we'll have
> better communication channels when necessary. Once a participating
> group has decided who their representation should be, it would be great
> to have that representative reply to this thread publicly and introduce
> themselves. This way we'll build a roster over time.
>
> For Advisory Board process, I'd like to avoid making it heavyweight and
> suggest using this mailing list (service-discuss at lists.opendev.org)
> with a subject tag of [AdvisoryBoard]. That said, I think the Advisory
> Board can decide if something else would work better for them once
> we've started to collect a roster here.
>
> [0]
> https://docs.opendev.org/opendev/system-config/latest/project.html#governance

Going to give this a quick bump. We've got ~3.5 volunteers so far which is great. Rather than wait for a certain number of people I think we'll move forward with who we've got by say July 2, 2020 and others can always join at a later date. This will help ensure that we keep things moving forward. Since membership isn't required having a cut off date for those interested makes sense. Thank you to those of you who have volunteered and looking forward to seeing more of you.

I'll send out an email to all those I've seen volunteer on July 3, 2020 in order to start formalizing communication channels.

Clark