OpenAFS timestamp rollover issues, discussion and plan

Ian Wienand iwienand at redhat.com
Fri Jan 15 22:28:33 UTC 2021

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 12:42:05PM -0800, Clark Boylan wrote:
> > Given the new information we have about the bug ceasing to be a
> > problem in a couple of weeks, and also the ability to switch freely
> > between and mix 1.6 and 1.8 servers, it sounds like a rollback won't
> > necessarily be intractable if we decide it's warranted.

> Yes, rather than doing it all in one go with a downtime maybe we
> should instead start with afs01.ord or afs02.dfw (the more secondary
> servers), ensure that server is happy then roll through things in a
> rolling fashion? We have documented that general process here:
> https://docs.opendev.org/opendev/system-config/latest/afs.html#no-outage-server-maintenance. It
> does appear that the existing releases may complicate this process
> though as we typically want to have the RW volume on active servers?

I agree with this; we can start with one server manually to validate
that 1.6 and 1.8 do actually co-exist as happily as advertised.  As
mentioned in the etherpad I can work on things like new key
distribution first as well, which is a good first thing to start
running ansible with.

I think we need to keep the manual upgrade plan in our pocket in case
of a unexpected restart before the end of January.

-i