Reevaluating choice of IRC network for our service bots

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Mon May 24 16:19:12 UTC 2021

 ---- On Fri, 21 May 2021 14:29:46 -0500 Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote ----
> [...]
 > extended periods of time across our channels without getting banned
 > from the network.
 >
 > Due to disagreements between Freenode and other large IRC networks
 > and frequent related attacks against Freenode's servers, our
 > communities have experienced many extended periods of instability
 > there. In order to insure against a potential collapse of the
 > network, the OpenDev Collaboratory (and the OpenStack Project
 > Infrastructure before it) has for many years maintained a sort of
 > evacuation plan: For the multitude of channels overseen by OpenDev,
 > we also keep equivalent channel registrations on the Open and Free
 > Technology Community (OFTC) IRC network[1], and have communicated
 > with its operators on multiple occasions about their willingness and
 > ability to host our communities there should the need arise.
 >
 > This week's events are, unfortunately, not an isolated incident. The
 > systems administrators for OpenDev have encouraged a move to OFTC on
 > multiple occasions, with the first formal proposal in March 2014[2].
 > In prior cases, the impact to the community for such a switch
 > outweighed the perceived benefits, but as we've heard growing
 > displeasure with Freenode from representatives of many of the
 > projects we serve, it is time once more to revisit whether we should
 > enact our longstanding evacuation plans.
 >
 > Because the OpenDev Collaboratory exists to serve the projects it
 > hosts, input from project representatives and the Advisory Council
 > is critical in deciding major changes to services. If projects were
 > to move their channels to OFTC, the transition would not be
 > seamless. In particular, differences in authentication (no SASL
 > support, but you can authenticate your connection with a
 > certificate[3] if you don't want to identify to the NickServ after
 > connecting), permissions model (OFTC has coarse-grained RBAC
 > designed to reduce channel mismanagement), and NickServ and ChanServ
 > command syntax are among the challenges they're likely to face. The
 > same IRC nicks may also not be available in some cases, though due
 > to the generally smaller size of OFTC compared to Freenode this
 > hopefully won't come up for too many users. On a positive note, we
 > may be able to go back to not requiring nick registration just to
 > join channels, easing onboarding for newcomers.
 >
 > If there is a consensus to move OpenDev's services to OFTC, or any
 > other IRC network for that matter, this will entail a bit of
 > development effort in order to accommodate the differences mentioned
 > above. Please do note, however, that moving to a network other than
 > OFTC would additionally mean we can't guarantee the availability of
 > the same IRC channel names either, so that needs to be weighed in
 > any decision. Some discussion[4][5][6] is already underway within
 > the OpenStack community as to what they'd prefer, but we haven't
 > heard much from other projects yet, so please do respond with your

Thanks, Jeremy and opendev team for starting the consolidated effort.

As you know, in OpenStack we are still discussing it on ML or in
openstack-tc channel (adding this in TC meeting agenda too).

One question though:

Does openinfra projects have their individual choice which one they want to move or continue OR
there will be only a single network provided/supported by opendev based on the majority of openinfra
projects feedback.

-gmann