Reevaluating choice of IRC network for our service bots

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue May 25 09:21:25 UTC 2021

Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> [...]
> If there is a consensus to move OpenDev's services to OFTC, or any
> other IRC network for that matter, this will entail a bit of
> development effort in order to accommodate the differences mentioned
> above. Please do note, however, that moving to a network other than
> OFTC would additionally mean we can't guarantee the availability of
> the same IRC channel names either, so that needs to be weighed in
> any decision. Some discussion[4][5][6] is already underway within
> the OpenStack community as to what they'd prefer, but we haven't
> heard much from other projects yet, so please do respond with your
> thoughts on the matter.

My personal view on this would be (with bits stolen from Jim's proposal
on Zuul's ML):

- the situation warrants relatively quick action (measured in days), so
we should stay on IRC

- small preference for OFTC due to the level of Opendev team
preparation, but also because Libera.Chat will likely be a hot target
for a while

- once the dust settles we should definitely consider a move toward a
more federated / decentralized / accessible system like Matrix

--
Thierry