Moving IRC service bots to OFTC this weekend

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat May 29 23:58:37 UTC 2021

On 2021-05-29 00:33:43 +0000 (+0000), Jeremy Stanley wrote:
[...]
> We're on track to start switching user-facing services over to
> OFTC in roughly 13.5 hours, and will reply with further updates on
> our progress over the course of the weekend.

To update everyone, we spent a few hours today getting our primary
services cut over to OFTC. A few notes:

  * The meetbot (formerly named "openstack") is in channels as
    "opendevmeet" now.

  * The gerritbot (formerly named "openstackgerrit") is in channels
    as "opendevreview" now.

  * The statusbot (formerly named "openstackstatus") is in channels
    as "opendevstatus" now.

  * As of 15:00 UTC today (2021-05-29) channel logging on the
    http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/ site is now reflecting
    discussions for those channels on OFTC instead of Freenode.

  * The meetbot is currently incapable of changing channel topics
    without some additional development effort (or changing auto-op
    settings for channels, which would have some serious negative
    side effects), but hopefully this is at worst a minor
    inconvenience for now.

  * There are four channels we've not yet been able to completely
    update, because they were registered by other community members
    who will need to add our "opendevaccess" account to their access
    lists: #edeploy (sbadia), #openstack-sahara (SergeyLukjanov),
    #puppet-openstack (xarses), #rdo (apevec,jpena,spotz).

  * We've seen a bit of a spam flood today, seems to be entirely
    backscatter from the Freenode/Libera disagreements, and so we've
    set the +s flag on all channels as of 21:20 UTC in order to make
    it harder for the spammers to find our channels by not listing
    them in the public channel list, but as a side effect this  will
    cause them not to appear in the selection/autocompletion list
    for the OFTC Matrix bridge if anyone happens to be relying on
    that (you can still tell it to connect you to specific channels
    if you know the name and type it in).

We feel things are basically stable now, but will keep an eye on the
services over the course of the weekend and so may need to restart
some briefly to make minor adjustments. Also a reminder, if people
want to start volunteering as global ops or channel-specific ops,
propose your additions to this file through usual code review:

https://opendev.org/openstack/project-config/src/branch/master/accessbot/channels.yaml

There may be some delay before we have a chance to review them, but
if you have questions feel free to follow up to this thread or hit
us up in the #opendev channel on OFTC.
--
Jeremy Stanley