[Edge-computing] Defining what we need in a use case

Jonathan Bryce jonathan at openstack.org
Thu Dec 14 21:06:11 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

In the last couple of calls, we’ve talked about a workstream to help identify potential gaps in existing OpenStack services when it comes to meeting the needs of an edge deployment. These could be technical gaps that could be addressed within those OpenStack services or through the addition of other projects or components.

We did some high level descriptions of different use cases at OpenDev (https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/opendev-sf-use-cases). I think we need to get much more detailed in our description of how an edge deployment looks and behaves to be able to highlight where it is different (or similar) to a traditional cloud environment. Obvious things to detail include scale or infrastructure and tenants, hardware and network attributes, functionality required as well as behavior of within the environment such as upgradeability requirements, physical access, and frequency of API activity.

I wanted to try to get us to collect a “template” of what information we need to gather per use case to guide as as we build it out. To that end I’ve started another etherpad to try to jot down the kinds of information and data we’d like to collect. This is just a super rough start on my part. Please take a look at it and flesh it out: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/edge-use-case-questions

I’d love to get some feedback on this and then discuss it on our final call of the year next Tuesday. If we can get this locked down then I think we have some groups that can start to fill in these details.

Thanks,

Jonathan