[Edge-computing] Upcoming Work Sessions Schedule - Edge

Csatari, Gergely (Nokia - HU/Budapest) gergely.csatari at nokia.com
Tue Jan 2 16:34:34 UTC 2018

Hi,

For telco the edge cloud is a necesary tool to bring the computing capability close to the end user. This is a must in case of latency sensitive applications.

The main differences compared to a central cloud are:

  *   Size is smaller, therefore the relative price of the management of the cloud is expensive (from a 4 node big cloud I would not like to have 3 dedicated control nodes)
  *   Location is not central, therefore any management activities which are not remote are very expensive and security should be provided
  *   Cardinality is a lot, therefore automatization of management activities are needed
  *   Workload is very volatile, therefore it should be very fast to start and stop workloads
  *   Workload is roaming, therefore there shold be a way to migrate the context of a workload

They are similar with the main clouds in a sense, that:

  *   low latency networking and compute are needed
  *   some workloads are delivered as VM images and some are as container images
  *   Resource limits are needed for the applications
  *   Network separation is needed between the applications

Br,
Gerg0