[Edge-computing] : Satya papers (WAS: Upcoming Work Sessions Schedule - Edge) - BIBLIOGRAPHY

Csatari, Gergely (Nokia - HU/Budapest) gergely.csatari at nokia.com
Fri Jan 5 13:24:14 UTC 2018

Hi,

I've added these from line 216 of https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/2017_edge_computing_working_sessions

Br,
Gerg0

-----Original Message-----
From: lebre.adrien at free.fr [mailto:lebre.adrien at free.fr]
Sent: Thursday, January 4, 2018 5:15 PM
To: edge-computing at lists.openstack.org
Subject: Re: [Edge-computing] : Satya papers (WAS: Upcoming Work Sessions Schedule - Edge) - BIBLIOGRAPHY

Hi,

thanks for opening a new thread :-P

Just to complete the Satya'papers, I think it would be great to maintain somewhere papers that deal with the question of Fog/Edge under the perspective of OpenStack (or other open-source frameworks).

You can complete the initial list with:
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7785190/
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7923796/

The first one presents the global idea of an OpenStack with a global DB (i.e. based on a REDIS prototype - as I mentioned there is an ongoing implementation with cockroach in order to keep the SQL API).
The second one tries to investigate what will be other issues to deal with if you consider that you have a global DB.

More generally, the weakness of all those papers (and probably others you can find on the web or in other ACM/IEEE/Usenix Conferences) is that they focus on one particular challenge: they are interesting, relevant and valuable to move forward but they do not propose/evaluate a global architecture.

IMHO, the challenge it would be nice to deal with is related to the definition of such a global architecture w.r.t. available solutions such as OpenStack (or other open-source frameworks).
Maybe I miss an important article but AFAIK, there is not such a paper that defines major components, how they should interact each other and which open-source components we can re-used (keeping in mind the development effort it will require, it is important to do not reinvent the wheel and use as much as available pieces of code...)

Remarks/comments welcome.
Best,
ad_ri3n_