[Edge-computing] Classifying edge-site scenarios / Identifying expected features

Pasi Vaananen pvaanane at redhat.com
Thu Jan 11 18:38:28 UTC 2018

There are two aspects to this, first being the split architecture of the
functionality between the (Remote)Radio Heads, Distributed Units and
Centralized units for RAN, and second aspects is the CP/DP separation.
In addition, core location (and associated splits) as well as splicing
affect location of functions, and can be service specific - i.e.
location of components for URULL service can be different than location
for same components for eMBB service.

RAN functions themselves have hard real-time requirements constraining
the latencies (e.g. 100us OWD target for L1 stuff in CPRI/eCPRI and
other low level split specs), which limits distance from radio to ~20km.
Since goal of some new services / edge deployments is latency
minimization (including the 1ms target for whole RAN, including both
transmission and processing), that further limits on what can be placed
where.

Pasi