[Edge-computing] [openstack-dev] [Openstack-sigs] [FEMDC] [Edge] [tripleo] On the use of terms "Edge" and "Far Edge"

Csatari, Gergely (Nokia - HU/Budapest) gergely.csatari at nokia.com
Fri Oct 19 08:05:24 UTC 2018

Hi,

I’m adding the ECG mailing list to the discussion.

I think the root of the problem is that there is no single definition of „the edge” (except for [1<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Edge>]), but it changes from group to group or use case to use case. What I recognise as the commonalities in these edge definitions, are 1) a distributed cloud infrastructure (kind of a cloud of clouds) 2) need for automation or everything 3) resource constraints for the control plane.

The different edge variants are putting different emphasis on these common needs based ont he use case discussed.

To have a more clear understanding of these definitions we could try the following:

  1.  Always add the definition of these to the given context
  2.  Check what other groups are using and adopt to that
  3.  Define our own language and expect everyone else to adopt

Br,
Gerg0

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Edge