[Edge-computing] Using DCN Primary site for future-proofing

Ajay Simha asimha at redhat.com
Fri Dec 20 06:33:54 UTC 2019

Hi Team,

We are working on High Level Design for Vodafone Idea Limited (VIL) in
India.
As an architect, I'm recommending L3 based design - spine/leaf as the
design for datacenter whether or not there will be edge sites.

This way, in future (which will most likely happen), they can hang edge DCN
sites off this primary site. Additionally, today there is a real issue
where they have to expand existing OSP VIM (pod) to have additional
computes. However, no more room in the DCN floor. L3 based lends itself to
expand the POD in a different floor, building etc.

If we go with this architecture, I'm concerned about nova backend.
@Jaromir Coufal <jcoufal at redhat.com> - I checked with you if the leaf is
within the same DCN (not on an edge site) I can use the Ceph backend. Which
you answered "yes".
Is nova backend using ephemeral/local a design limitation? OR actual
limitation in OSP13 where it simply cannot be configured/enabled for
spine-leaf/DCN deployment?

Thanks

Ajay