[Edge-computing] Help with the OpenInfra presentation on Edge

Cohen, Beth F beth.cohen at verizon.com
Mon May 23 11:39:30 UTC 2022

Folks -
For many reasons, all very valid, Rob will not ba able to attend the Summit
in June.  I am willing to do the presentation on Edge complexity myself,
but if anyone on this list will be attending the conference and would like
to share the responsibilities, I welcome the opportunity.  Here is the
topic:

Wed, June 8, 4:00pm - 4:30pm | Berlin Congress Center - B - B09
Complexity at the Edge – A knotty problem
5G, NFV & Edge

Edge computing has been part of the emerging technology landscape for over
five years now, yet somehow, it remains somewhat of a mystery (or possibly
just a Byzantine maze) to many users.   Like Cloud computing before, Edge
was touted as being able to simplify complex use cases. In reality, Edge
has only magnified the essential complexity of the cloud by highlighting
the need for better security, development, deployment and management tools
that work over a highly distributed network environment.

Using real world examples and painful lessons learned -- what do mean we
will have to take the system, which is serving as the sole network
connection for hundreds of branch offices, down for 2 hours to upgrade the
hypervisor? -- We will explore how the principles of simplicity and ease of
management collide with the inherent complexity of managing Edge
architectures, with some possible ways that Open Source tools and
techniques can address these issues.

--

--
*Beth Cohen*