[Openinfralabs] OpenInfra Labs Branding

Bill Burns bburns at redhat.com
Wed Apr 22 18:54:29 UTC 2020

On Tue, Apr 21, 2020 at 12:00 PM Jonathan Bryce <jonathan at openstack.org>
wrote:

> Digging this one back up and adding some of my free brainstorm thoughts
>
> >       • Do you have any initial ideas or opinions for this brand?
> This is a project that focuses on integrating systems together for
> real-world usage. It’s got an academic/science/research heritage, but I
> don’t think it will play only in that world.
>
> There’s also a strong operations focus—running things reliably and
> repeatably—and sharing the resources and knowledge around doing that
> broadly and openly.
>
> >       • How would you want this brand to be perceived (corporate,
> futuristic, whimsical, trustworthy, etc.)?
> I don’t have a strong opinion on this one. Would love to hear if anyone
> else has thoughts on it.

Maybe organizational? Or simplifying? It's about taking cloud computing
environments which
are difficult and complex to operate and trying to make it more reasonable.

> >       • Are there any brands or projects similar to this project?
> Someone in a conversation once compared it to Underwriters Laboratories (
> https://www.ul.com/ ). Not sure the brand feel would be the same, but
> just sharing.
>
> OPNFV ( https://www.opnfv.org/ ) is another open source community that
> has a similar mission in the telecom space.

Yes, that may be the best analogy. OPNFV was about making sure various
projects
could work together. And this is about making sure various projects that
make up
a cloud can be reasonably operated.

cheers,
 Bill