[Rust-VMM] Rust VMM Crates

Samuel Ortiz samuel.ortiz at intel.com
Wed Jan 16 15:28:10 UTC 2019

Hi Andreea,

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 03:07:45PM +0000, Florescu, Andreea wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>

> I was thinking it would be nice to add one more crates to rust-vmm before my Fosdem presentation [1]. Another easy pick would be the virtio bindings, what do you say?
>

> As the community is slowly growing, I think it would also be a good idea to have a process for creating repositories so we can get feedback before publishing them on crates.io. The proposal would be to first create a repository on a personal GitHub profile and open a new issue in the community repository [2] asking for review for the crate. Would that be okay? I can do that for the virtio-bindings crate.

That looks reasonable to me. I guess we will have to document that
process in the community repo.

> Also, while thinking what crate should we add next, I realized that kvm_wrapper [3] was not the most inspired name of them all (enforcing that we should have some kind of review before publishing them). I also noticed that there are a lot of crates on crates.io that over FFI bindings and are named with the "-bindings" suffix. Because you cannot rename crates on crates.io, I was thinking about creating a new crate with the same content, name it kvm-bindings and mark the kvm_wrapper as an obsolete crate. We can keep the kvm_wrapper repository around and at some point re-purpose it to be a wrapper over KVM ioctls (similar to the kvm crate from crosvm/firecracker, but a bit more generic maybe?).

I'm fine with renaming kvm_wrapper to kvm-bindings and use the -bindings
for FFI crates.

Thanks for the proposal.

Cheers,
Samuel.

92196 Meudon Cedex, France
Registration Number:  302 456 199 R.C.S. NANTERRE
Capital: 4,572,000 Euros