[Rust-VMM] Summer of Code / Outreachy projects

Stefan Hajnoczi stefanha at redhat.com
Fri Jan 18 11:32:51 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 07:07:00PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> QEMU would be glad to host projects related to VMMs in Rust as part of
> Google summer of Code and Outreachy.  This includes all of Firecracker,
> CrosVM and common infrastructure that could be reused by multiple
> virtual machine monitors; with my QEMU hat, I would obviously favor the
> latter :)).
>
> An idea could be to migrate Firecracker and CrosVM to the Fuchsia crates
> that were mentioned early here on the mailing list, and/or implement a
> sample vhost-user client using whatever standard set of crates are
> established.  Another possibility is PCI and virtio-pci in Firecracker.

Background information on mentoring Google Summer of Code internships
with QEMU:

 * Presentation on the big picture, how it works, etc
   "QEMU Community Growth Through Open Source Internships"
   Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNVCX7YMUL8
   Slides: https://vmsplice.net/~stefan/stefanha-kvm-forum-2016.pdf

 * Good project ideas are suitable for 12 weeks of full-time work by a
   competent programmer who is not yet familiar with the codebase.  In
   addition, they are:

    * Well-defined - the scope is clear
    * Self-contained - there are few dependencies
    * Uncontroversial - they are acceptable to the community
    * Incremental - they produce deliverables along the way

 * QEMU may have resources for up to 2 Rust-VMM project ideas this year.
   You can post them here (see template on the wiki page) or email them
   to me:

   https://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2019

If you have questions, please let me know.

Stefan