[Rust-VMM] Proposal for contribution and crate approval process

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Mar 19 10:35:26 UTC 2019

Matt Wilson wrote:
> [...]
> I think it would be good to talk about some design tenets or
> principles. Rather than documenting the governance / process, first
> set down what problems you're trying to solve, and general thinking
> about how the group might want to solve them. It may be that a highly
> decentralized and a "please feel free to fork" mentality will be more
> aligned with the problems that are being tackled by the individuals
> here.

I agree... In the excitement of forming an open collaboration like this,
we often skip the step where we put words to describe the exact scope of
the project and its community, what is "in" and what is "out".

If the project is successful, this can lead to scope creep and a
community tempted to tackle more and more use cases... until the project
becomes too big, vague or complex.

So I would focus on three angles for a start:

1- What is the scope of the project -- in particular, describe what it
will *not* do and leave to other adjacent projects

2- What are the key design tenets to follow when writing Rust-VMM crates

3- What are the community principles that this open collaboration follows

A few example documents:

Matt pointed at the Redis manifesto, which insists on the (2) angle:
https://github.com/antirez/redis/blob/unstable/MANIFESTO

The "Guiding principles" for OpenStack, which insist on the (3) angle:
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/principles.html

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)