[Rust-VMM] Rust-VMM Logo Concepts

Matt Wilson msw at linux.com
Wed Mar 20 00:17:55 UTC 2019

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 04:29:01PM -0700, James Cole wrote:
> Greetings Rust-VMM Team,
>
> My name is James Cole and I’m a Graphic Designer with the OpenStack
> Foundation. We’ve been working on some logo concepts for Rust-VMM
> and wanted to share them with you. I’ve attached a PDF to this
> message, or you can view the document online here
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/lurra2cyi6nfua9/Rust-VMM_LogoConcepts_R1.pdf?dl=0>.

Hi James,

Before going too far, I want to make sure that the community
understands the nature of this contribution. Under what license are
you, or the OpenStack Foundation, proposing this work to this (still
forming) community? Which way does this community want to go:

 * establishing trademarks

 * simply control the ability to manipulate or use the logo in
   commerce via a license like CC BY-NA-ND 4.0

 * encourage anyone to be able to take a base logo and enhance
   it for their own purposes via something like CC0?

In my opinion the "rust-vmm" project name is delightfully minimalist
and utilitarian. It says what it is on the tin. It likely can't be
trademarked on its own (consult a lawyer if you want an opinion on
this. I am not one). If someone wants to create a logo, I see no
reason to say they shouldn't. But in the discussion about what is "in"
and what is "out" [2], I think this community should consider how much
time and effort it wants to put into marketing, and creating things
that can be more cumbersome to deal with than software.

Maybe this community wants to establish its identity by eschewing
logos at this time? I am an outsider, and haven't participated in any
discussions about this, other than posting on the mailing list.

What do you all think?

--msw

[1] https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode
[2] http://lists.opendev.org/pipermail/rust-vmm/2019-March/000161.html