[Rust-VMM] rust-vmm sync meeting
fandree at amazon.com
Mon Mar 8 10:09:19 UTC 2021
Thanks everyone for joining!
Here are the meeting minutes:
* Logging: https://github.com/rust-vmm/vhost-user-backend/issues/4
* whats the idomatic way to do logging across the various crates?
* typically people use the log crate and build on top of it: https://crates.io/crates/log
* alternative proposal: hide all logging & metrics behind an interface that defines relevant events
* example of usage: https://github.com/rust-vmm/vm-superio/blob/c9ecf106d4d8d38fdc8e91e254a7f7890fbe6c60/src/serial.rs#L112
* for now this is used only for metrics
* CH is using a macro for events: https://github.com/cloud-hypervisor/cloud-hypervisor/blob/master/event_monitor/src/lib.rs
* let's use this issue to continue the discussion: https://github.com/rust-vmm/community/issues/104
* for debugging & developing we can use the log crate
* also an open question about metrics (what/where/how many/how filtered)
* Public roadmap for 2021:
* Use label: "roadmap 2021"
* Search for roadmap issues: https://github.com/search?q=org%3Arust-vmm+label%3A%22roadmap+2021%22&type=issues
* Branching policy for crates and release lifecycle management
* we've been doing branch releases for security vulnerabilities
* we do not have a policy for releases (how long do we support them)?
* dev on master
* before releases they're looking more into what gets into master (i.e. only bug fixes)
* release branch
* 3 release/year
* release every 6 weeks
* use dependabot
* does not support older versions of CH (only support for latest version)
* Handle releases on a case by case basis
* Proposal for branches: branch when need to (i.e. breaking changes & security releases)
* fandree@ add this to the community readme
* master support?
* only when there is a new change that is needed or when crates are not published
* releases on demand to support different projects (release just a versioned tag on master, ad-hoc branch for security backports on a release tag)
* obviously master tries to stay stable with CI keeping tests green - cost of a release should be small
* CH tried to autogenerate new bindings, and it did not work
* we need to add documentation (if it does not exist) on how to generate them
* State of AArch64 support?
* crate support should be complete: kvm-ioctls, linux-loader; used in production Firecracker & Cloud Hypervisor
* removing dependency on libfdt options:
* rust crate for generating the DT (only static FDT)
* ACPI: there is a push to use it by default
* adding support to vmm-reference for ARM: https://github.com/rust-vmm/vmm-reference/issues/90
* Support for other hypervisors (!KVM):
* did not have time to discuss this; we'll discuss it at the next sync meeting
From: Florescu, Andreea
Sent: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 3:19 PM
To: Barbu, Iulian; Loghin, Laura; Ochescu, Catalin; Horobeanu, Dan; Iordache, Alexandra; Agache, Alexandru; meet at chime.aws; pin+2352511775 at chime.aws; rust-vmm at lists.opendev.org
Cc: M. Dodson; Ceyhun Ertürk; Catangiu, Adrian Costin; Zach Reizner; Wise, Bob; Liguori, Anthony; Trilok Soni; Dylan Reid; luka.perkov at sartura.hr; Brendan Burns; Alex Bennée
Subject: rust-vmm sync meeting
When: Monday, March 8, 2021 11:00 AM-12:00 PM.
Meeting Agenda: https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/rust-vmm-sync-2021
==============Conference Bridge Information==============
You have been invited to an online meeting, powered by Amazon Chime.
Chime meeting ID: 2352511775
Join via Chime clients (manually): Select 'Meetings > Join a Meeting', and enter 2352511775
Join via Chime clients (auto-call): If you invite auto-call as attendee, Chime will call you when the meeting starts, select 'Answer'
Join via browser screen share: https://chime.aws/2352511775
Join via phone (US): +1-929-432-4463,,,2352511775#<tel:+1-929-432-4463,,,2352511775#>
Join via phone (US toll-free): +1-855-552-4463,,,2352511775#<tel:+1-855-552-4463,,,2352511775#>
International dial-in: https://chime.aws/dialinnumbers/
In-room video system: Ext: 62000, Meeting PIN: 2352511775#
================Before your meeting:================
* Learn how to use the touch panel<https://it.amazon.com/en/help/articles/use-the-meeting-room-touch-panel>.
* Prefer a video? Watch these touch panel how-to videos<https://broadcast.amazon.com/videos/98363>.
* Find out more about room layouts<https://it.amazon.com/en/help/articles/conference-room-configurations>.
* Get more information at it.amazon.com/meetings<https://it.amazon.com/en/servicecatalog/meetings>.
Created with Amazon Meetings<https://meetings.amazon.com> (fandree@, edit this series<https://meetings.amazon.com/#/meeting/new?entryID=Meetings-1614777141769-fandree-ef276bd02425fd937ae7c9d0a2756544>)
Amazon Development Center (Romania) S.R.L. registered office: 27A Sf. Lazar Street, UBC5, floor 2, Iasi, Iasi County, 700045, Romania. Registered in Romania. Registration number J22/2621/2005.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Rust-vmm