[Rust-VMM] Call for GSoC and Outreachy project ideas for summer 2022

Andreea Florescu fandree at amazon.com
Wed Feb 23 08:48:29 UTC 2022

On 1/28/22 17:47, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you can confirm the sender and know the content is safe.
>

> Dear QEMU, KVM, and rust-vmm communities,
> QEMU will apply for Google Summer of Code 2022
> (https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/) and has been accepted into
> Outreachy May-August 2022 (https://www.outreachy.org/). You can now
> submit internship project ideas for QEMU, KVM, and rust-vmm!
>
> If you have experience contributing to QEMU, KVM, or rust-vmm you can
> be a mentor. It's a great way to give back and you get to work with
> people who are just starting out in open source.
>
> Please reply to this email by February 21st with your project ideas.
Hey, I am a bit late here, but in case it is still possible, I would
like to also propose a project.

Title: Extend the aarch64 support for rust-vmm/vmm-reference

rust-vmm crates.
This is currently used for testing the integration of rust-vmm
components, with plans of extending it
such that it becomes a starting point for custom Rust VMMs.

The vmm-reference currently has support for x86_64 and POC level support
for aarch64.
On aarch64, it just supports booting a dummy VM with no devices, while
on x86_64 it has support for the
vsock-network and vsock-block devices. The purpose of this project is to
extend the existing functionality
getting it closer to what is already available on x86_64, and consume
the readily available crates
(for example vm-allocator) that would make the integration easier.

Resources:
- about the vmm-reference: https://github.com/rust-vmm/vmm-reference
- about the rust-vmm project: https://github.com/rust-vmm/community
- task breakdown for adding arm support:
https://github.com/rust-vmm/vmm-reference/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Aaarch64

Language:
- 90% Rust
- 10% Python (used for adapting the already existing integration tests)

Mentors:
- fandree at amazon.com
- gsserge at amazon.com

> Good project ideas are suitable for remote work by a competent
> programmer who is not yet familiar with the codebase. In
> addition, they are:
> - Well-defined - the scope is clear
> - Self-contained - there are few dependencies
> - Uncontroversial - they are acceptable to the community
> - Incremental - they produce deliverables along the way
>
> Feel free to post ideas even if you are unable to mentor the project.
> It doesn't hurt to share the idea!
>
> I will review project ideas and keep you up-to-date on QEMU's
> acceptance into GSoC.
>
> Internship program details:
> - Paid, remote work open source internships
> - GSoC projects are 175 or 350 hours, Outreachy projects are 30
> hrs/week for 12 weeks
> - Mentored by volunteers from QEMU, KVM, and rust-vmm
> - Mentors typically spend at least 5 hours per week during the coding period
>
> Changes since last year: GSoC now has 175 or 350 hour project sizes
> instead of 12 week full-time projects. GSoC will accept applicants who
> are not students, before it was limited to students.
>
> For more background on QEMU internships, check out this video:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNVCX7YMUL8
>
> Please let me know if you have any questions!
>
> Stefan

Amazon Development Center (Romania) S.R.L. registered office: 27A Sf. Lazar Street, UBC5, floor 2, Iasi, Iasi County, 700045, Romania. Registered in Romania. Registration number J22/2621/2005.