[Rust-VMM] Call for GSoC and Outreachy project ideas for summer 2022
stefanha at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 15:47:21 UTC 2022
Dear QEMU, KVM, and rust-vmm communities,
QEMU will apply for Google Summer of Code 2022
(https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/) and has been accepted into
Outreachy May-August 2022 (https://www.outreachy.org/). You can now
submit internship project ideas for QEMU, KVM, and rust-vmm!
If you have experience contributing to QEMU, KVM, or rust-vmm you can
be a mentor. It's a great way to give back and you get to work with
people who are just starting out in open source.
Please reply to this email by February 21st with your project ideas.
Good project ideas are suitable for remote work by a competent
programmer who is not yet familiar with the codebase. In
addition, they are:
- Well-defined - the scope is clear
- Self-contained - there are few dependencies
- Uncontroversial - they are acceptable to the community
- Incremental - they produce deliverables along the way
Feel free to post ideas even if you are unable to mentor the project.
It doesn't hurt to share the idea!
I will review project ideas and keep you up-to-date on QEMU's
acceptance into GSoC.
Internship program details:
- Paid, remote work open source internships
- GSoC projects are 175 or 350 hours, Outreachy projects are 30
hrs/week for 12 weeks
- Mentored by volunteers from QEMU, KVM, and rust-vmm
- Mentors typically spend at least 5 hours per week during the coding period
Changes since last year: GSoC now has 175 or 350 hour project sizes
instead of 12 week full-time projects. GSoC will accept applicants who
are not students, before it was limited to students.
For more background on QEMU internships, check out this video:
Please let me know if you have any questions!
More information about the Rust-vmm