[service-announce] Switching default nodeset in base job to ubuntu-focal

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue May 4 21:48:28 UTC 2021

The OpenDev Collaboratory is normally somewhat conservative about
when it changes its Zuul node "default" (that is, the nodeset in its
base job). It's been ubuntu-bionic since at least July of 2019 when
we first moved our base job into its own repository, and
ubuntu-focal nodes have been available in our deployment since
before Ubuntu's 20.04 LTS was officially released more than a year
ago. All that is to say, updating our default is overdue.

On Tuesday, 2021-05-18 (two weeks from today) we'll approve
https://review.opendev.org/789098 to update the nodeset to
ubuntu-focal for any jobs which don't specify their own or inherit
from another job which does. We've already merged a change which
updates our base-test job to reflect this, so you can test either by
explicitly setting your jobs to use an ubuntu-focal nodeset or to
inherit from base-test (though we don't recommend merging changes
for the latter, just rely on speculative execution to identify
problems which you may encounter when the default changes).

Please reply to the service-discuss mailing list with any questions
or concerns. You should also feel free to leave comments on the
change linked above.
--
Jeremy Stanley