[service-announce] Mailman v3 migration for OpenDev and Zuul mailing lists 2022-12-05

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Dec 1 17:19:12 UTC 2022

On Monday, December 5 at 20:00 UTC, the OpenDev Collaboratory
systems administrators will be migrating the lists.opendev.org and
lists.zuul-ci.org mailing list sites from their existing Mailman
2.1.29 server to a shiny new Mailman 3.3.7 deployment. This
maintenance window is expected to last no more than one hour. The
key takeaways are as follows:

  * There will be a brief outage for the affected sites while DNS is
    updated and configuration, subscriber lists and message archives
    are imported, but incoming messages should correctly queue at
    the sender's end and arrive at the conclusion of our work

  * Because this is on a new server, there are new IP addresses from
    which list mail will be originating, 162.209.78.70 and
    2001:4800:7813:516:be76:4eff:fe04:5423

  * Moderation queues will not be copied to the new server, so
    moderators are encouraged to process any held messages prior to
    the migration time in order to avoid losing them

  * Anyone wishing to adjust their list subscriptions, or handle
    moderation or list configuration after the migration needs to
    use the Sign Up button on the Web page to create a new account;
    it will be linked to your imported roles as soon as you confirm
    by following a URL from an E-mail message the server sends you,
    and is global for all sites on the server so you only need to do
    this once

  * The software providing Web front-ends for list management and
    archive browsing is entirely new in Mailman v3 and therefore has
    a much different appearance, though we've added appropriate
    redirects and frozen copies of old archives in order to
    accommodate existing hyperlinks

Once we smooth out any unanticipated rough patches with the new
service, we'll schedule additional maintenance to migrate mailing
list sites for other domains (Airship, Kata, OpenInfra, OpenStack,
StarlingX). If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to
follow up on the service-discuss mailing list or find us in the
#opendev channel on the OFTC IRC network.
--
Jeremy Stanley