[service-announce] Updating Zuul tenants' default-ansible-version to 6

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Wed Oct 5 15:21:12 UTC 2022

Hello,

The OpenDev team is planning to update the default-ansible-version to 6 in the near future. Zuul is planning to drop support for Ansible 5, and switching OpenDev to Ansible 6 early allows us to provide valuable feedback if there are problems. There are other reasons for the switch as well. Ansible 5 broke pipelining, but we expect Ansible 6 to correct this problem. Having pipelining should improve the runtime of jobs.

We had been holding off on making this change as StarlingX and OpenStack have both recently worked through some fairly major releases. Those releases exist now making this a good time for a change like this.

As far as testing goes, Zuul's Zuul tenant has been running with an Ansible 6 default for several weeks now. I've also tested this change with Devstack specifically [0] as Devstack seems to have a good representative set of complicated jobs.

The change to update our defaults is up for review [1]. Feel free to leave any comments there or on this email thread. Note that you can override this change if necessary using the same mechanism I used to test Devstack [0]. However, if you do this please communicate that change to us as Zuul does plan to remove Ansible 5 support which means any problems with Ansible 6 need to be communicated back to Zuul.

[0] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/devstack/+/858436
[1] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/project-config/+/860474