[service-announce] October 20 Gerrit Outage Update

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Wed Oct 21 15:06:07 UTC 2020

 ---- On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 08:06:22 -0500 Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote ----
> [...]
 >
 > I concur, for what it's worth.
 >
 > > If it was an individual's account that was accessed and not a
 > > system account, have we audited that there are not other things
 > > that might have been accessed such as resources relating to Zuul,
 > > other systems and potentially rotating/auditing all our
 > > infrastructure?
 > [...]
 >
 > The only systems of ours that OpenID had access to were Gerrit,
 > StoryBoard and MediaWiki. Obviously Gerrit was our primary concern,
 > though we've been looking through the other two in case we need to
 > clean up or reset anything in them.
 >
 > For that account to alter our automation it would need to have done
 > so through merged changes in Gerrit, and the team has been reviewing
 > recent systems configuration changes for any impersonated suspicious
 > alterations, just as we recommend all teams do for their changes
 > since the first of the month.
 >
 > > I saw this artifact, I have no idea if it was put into consideration, but,
 > > food for thought:
 > >
 > > https://review.opendev.org/#/c/758881/
 > [...]
 >
 > Yes, that's how Gerrit normally expects project configurations to be
 > altered (through change proposal, review and approval). For a
 > variety of reasons we don't rely on those, but Gerrit allows any
 > user to propose them.
 >
 > > Thank you for this.  I'd also like to raise the question of moving
 > > forward, how to be able to track these things.  We had a user that
 > > had full root access to our Gerrit installation for ~2 weeks
 > > without our knowledge entirely, only uncovered when they did
 > > something (that, in the grand scheme of things, was relatively
 > > trivial, compared to what could have happened).
 > >
 > > What can we do to set up the necessary infrastructure to ensure
 > > that these things are monitored.  OpenDev is considered to be
 > > critical infrastructure for this entire community and there's not
 > > much that an outsider can do other than the 'keyholders' for the
 > > resources.
 > >
 > > We've historically refused to have any monitoring and now things
 > > like this have slipped up, I'm just worried that we have a big
 > > looming thing coming up ahead of us that will catch us off guard
 > > and we'll be completely unprepared for it...
 >
 > I understand the desire, but what monitoring solution do you
 > recommend which would identify when an SSO OpenID account isn't
 > being operated by its rightful owner?
 >
 > I do think if Gerrit had E-mail notifications to group owners any
 > time group membership was altered, that would have helped us spot
 > the secondary escalation (and it's something we'll look into finding
 > out if the newer Gerrit we've been working on moving to supports),
 > but that was a couple of weeks after the initial intrusion.
 >
 > Ultimately, monitoring for "compromised" accounts and
 > differentiating them from accounts which are being operated by their
 > legitimate owners is nontrivial, so assistance or suggestions there

Enabling the email notification to all the existing members of any core groups if there is
any change in that group can help this.

Or the developer can enable the review comment email so that you can catch such suspicious activity
very soon but review comments email can be huge :) but works for me.

-gmann