Re: [devstack][infra] POST_FAILURE on export-devstack-journal : Export journal

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Tue Apr 6 16:39:04 UTC 2021

On Tue, Apr 6, 2021, at 9:15 AM, Radosław Piliszek wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2021 at 6:11 PM Radosław Piliszek
> <radoslaw.piliszek at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The reason we used xz is that the files are very large and gz compression is very poor compared to xz for these files and these files are not really human readable as is (you need to load them into journald first). Let's test it and see what the gz file sizes look like but if they are still quite large then this is unlikely to be an appropriate fix.
> >
> > Let's see how bad the file sizes are.
>
> devstack.journal.gz 23.6M
>
> Less than all the other logs together, I would not mind.
> I wonder how it is in other jobs (this is from the failing one).

There does seem to be a range (likely due to how much the job workload causes logging to happen in journald) from about a few megabytes to eighty something MB [3]. This is probably acceptable. Just keep an eye out for jobs that end up with much larger file sizes and we can reevaluate if we notice them.

[3] https://storage.gra.cloud.ovh.net/v1/AUTH_dcaab5e32b234d56b626f72581e3644c/zuul_opendev_logs_038/784964/1/check/tempest-multinode-full-py3/038bd51/controller/logs/index.html