Storyboard Needs and Alternatives

Marcin Cieslak saper at saper.info
Wed Nov 30 15:20:36 UTC 2022

On Mon, 28 Nov 2022, Clark Boylan wrote:

> * Properly adopt storyboard. Make updating the deployment of storyboard
>  a priority and take on maintenance of the software itself to try and
>  address the issues that have been called out that are not already fixed.
>  This option is unlikely to be successful without help, and we haven't seen
>  any new interest in helping. We would also likely need to help those
>  looking to move regardless of this changes of focus. Which creates
>  an overlap with the next option.

I am mostly lurking here but I decided to have a quick look at
the Storyboard backend and I think the performance is so bad
that it has a priority of "Unbreak Now" if some projects are
even thinking about staying there.

Some API queries to the backend took 2 to 6 seconds to complete
when invoked from Europe.

Anything like usability/frontend/missing features is secondary
to that. I think it is worth fixing the perfomance even
if the projects decide to switch away - the migration can
take time.

Why is it so bad? Who can have a look at the machine running it
and the database? Would that be possible to obtain a possibly
redacted copy of a MySQL database to reproduce the issues locally?

I could have a quick look at it but I am not sure if some crisis
group could be built to address this promptly and without red tape?

I can see some unfortunate architectural decisions in the code but
even with them it should not perform that badly for the amount
of data we have. But it is all guessing until some real performance
data can be collected from the live environment.

I have joined #storyboard as "saper" to discuss details.

Marcin
(I made some tiny contributions to git-review and gerrit in the past,
that's why I'm here)