Team Meeting Agenda for October 25, 2022

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Mon Oct 24 23:13:53 UTC 2022

We will meet with this agenda on October 25, 2022 at 19:00 UTC in #opendev-meeting:

== Agenda for next meeting ==

* Announcements

* Actions from last meeting

* Specs Review

* Topics
** Bastion host (ianw 20221025)
*** Move ansible to a venv.
*** Replace bridge host once existing host is running ansible out of a venv
*** bastion host OS upgrade.  prioin-place?  new host?  wait until have time to return to some of the bootstrapping/parallel job work?
*** Are console log files no longer being written? Did base-jobs playbook get updated too?
*** https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:bridge-ansible-venv
** Upgrading Bionic servers to Focal/Jammy (clarkb 20221025)
*** https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/opendev-bionic-server-upgrades
*** gitea-lb02 was launched using a Jammy image and is now in prod
**** Used upstream image published by Ubuntu uploaded to vexxhost and converted to raw. This allows for max compatibility with bfv on vexxhost (gitea-lb02 is not bfv).
**** Needed to use an up to date paramiko out of a virtualenv to run launch node as Jammy doesn't do SSH RSA + SHA1.
** Removing snapd (clarkb 20221025)
*** In the past we removed snapd as we didn't use it for anything.
*** Stopped removing snapd in order to install kubectl.
*** Should we go back to removing snapd globally and only add it back in where needed?
** Mailman 3 (clarkb 20221025)
*** https://review.opendev.org/c/opendev/system-config/+/851248 Worthy of review at this point
*** https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/mm3migration
*** https://review.opendev.org/c/opendev/system-config/+/860157 Forking the upstream images due to lack of attention on issues and PRs we've filed
** Switch base job nodeset to ubuntu-jammy (frickler 20221007)
*** Switching the default base job's nodeset to Ubuntu Jammy on October 25 (day of the meeting).
** Updating base python docker images to use `pip wheel` (clarkb 20221025)
*** Pip changed how it addresses wheels in its wheel cache which broke our assemble script's ability to build packages on our image builds.
*** I've filed a bug against pip for this and pushed a PR to fix it. However, upstream pip says we shouldn't rely on the wheel cache like this and should use `pip wheel` instead.
*** https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/11527
*** https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/11538
*** https://review.opendev.org/c/opendev/system-config/+/862152
** Dropping python 3.8 base images (clarkb 20221025)
*** To make room for python 3.11 it would be good to drop our python3.8 images.
*** https://review.opendev.org/q/status:open+(topic:use-new-python+OR+topic:docker-cleanups)
** iweb cloud going away at the end of the year (clarkb 20221025)
*** We've been told this will need to be shutdown by the end of the year. We are good to use it until then.
*** Possibility for using cloudstack resources as backfill, but would require a nodepool driver.
** Etherpad docker container logs growth (clarkb 20221025)
*** The etherpad docker container's logs grow over time when we don't update the container.
*** Can/should we add the syslogging for containers to this service?

* Open discussion