[service-announce] Changes to our base job nodeset and Ansible 5 removal

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Tue Oct 11 23:27:18 UTC 2022

As mentioned in the previous email [0] about updating our default Ansible version to Ansible 6, Zuul will be removing support for Ansible 5 soon. Based on Zuul's currently estimated release schedule we expect this to happen on or near October 18. This change won't take effect until OpenDev restarts Zuul. We will try to make that happen quickly after Zuul lands this change in order to catch any issues quickly.

Additionally, it has been called out that we are still defaulting our base job nodeset to ubuntu-focal. Ubuntu Jammy has been released for about 6 months now and has a .1 release as well. To catch up we will update the default nodeset in our base jobs to ubuntu-jammy on October 25, 2022.

If you would like to test that your jobs run against Ubuntu Jammy you can modify your jobs to set `nodeset: ubuntu-jammy` today and test them. Note, any jobs that expect a specific platform should already be explicitly setting the nodeset they rely on. There are a number of jobs already running on Jammy which gives us confidence in the newer images.

[0] https://lists.opendev.org/pipermail/service-announce/2022-October/000046.html

Clark