Forming the OpenDev Advisory Board

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Thu May 21 18:40:31 UTC 2020

Hello everyone,

I've BCC'd potentially interested parties to ensure they get this email, but didn't CC to avoid putting too much pressure on them if I've gauged potential interest poorly. I'm also sure that this list isn't complete. Please share it with others that may be interested.

One of the governance bodies that we've described is the OpenDev Advisory Board [0]. The purpose of this group is to work with the OpenDev admins to ensure that project and resource provider needs are being met. Through this group OpenDev can communicate important updates, manage load on cloud resources over time, and plan for future needs. I'm also hopeful that it can serve as a conduit for our collaborating constituents to find time to help administer OpenDev as well.

We would like to welcome both projects consuming OpenDev resources and OpenDev resource providers to join the Advisory Board. The OpenDev admins don't want to prescribe how various groups decide who represents them as what works for OpenStack may not work for Zuul or Vexxhost. I don't expect this will be a large time sink, more that we'll have better communication channels when necessary. Once a participating group has decided who their representation should be, it would be great to have that representative reply to this thread publicly and introduce themselves. This way we'll build a roster over time.

For Advisory Board process, I'd like to avoid making it heavyweight and suggest using this mailing list (service-discuss at lists.opendev.org) with a subject tag of [AdvisoryBoard]. That said, I think the Advisory Board can decide if something else would work better for them once we've started to collect a roster here.

[0] https://docs.opendev.org/opendev/system-config/latest/project.html#governance

Clark