[Edge-computing] Classifying edge-site scenarios / Identifying expected features

Gnep Zhao jass.zhao at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 02:24:42 UTC 2018

Agreed.
The infra layer (compute, not storage and network) has two type of runtime
technologies: container and virtualization. To provide a universal and portable
platform for applications, the underlying runtime is an implementation choice.
The package format, aka Image, is the key. Application should be packaged only
once in a "standard" format, and be deployed on any runtime, based on various
requirements.
With that said, not all apps can be "dockerized" or turned into "micro-service",
some are built with the notion of Server. But that doesn't necessarily mean that
it has to run as VMs. LXD is able to provide a VM-like experience on top of
cgroup/namespace; and Kata is able to provide a Docker experience on top of KVM.
The myth is that Docker image has to be microservices. In fact, we can build
"fat", full server-like Docker images. But uniting both container and
virtualization under one single, de-facto image format and workflow has
tremendous benefits.