[Edge-computing] Meeting recap

Ildiko Vancsa ildiko at openstack.org
Wed Oct 6 00:37:20 UTC 2021

Hi,

This Monday we had two topics to discuss during our weekly call.

We were continuing the preparation for the upcoming PTG[1] to make sure we are ready to discuss the topics we’ve outlined. Our etherpad[2] contains all the topics and session information while we are still working with a few adjacent communities to fit their sessions in.

We also started to dive into the topic of edge hardware and how that relates to infrastructure software that goes on top of it. As hardware and software on the infrastructure layer can be decoupled, but will not become completely independent, we need to focus on how to handle the challenges that we are facing due to the massively distributed systems that edge computing use cases demand.

We need to distinguish between IoT and edge, we need to decide the approach to take with the overall architecture and where control functions live and how to manage the hardware resources locally while might still keep a centralized control plane after all. We will keep on untangling these challenges and more on the upcoming weekly calls as we outlined on the meeting etherpad[3].

If you are interested in joining our calls please see our wiki[4] for dial-in information and agenda.

Also please note that the weekly meeting on October 18 will be canceled in favor of the edge sessions we will be having at the PTG[1].

Thanks and Best Regards,
Ildikó

[1] https://www.openstack.org/ptg
[2] https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/ecg-ptg-october-2021