[Openinfralabs] October/November PTG Date Selection

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon Jul 27 17:02:32 UTC 2020

Hello Everyone!

We wanted to get your input on the best dates for holding the PTG
now that its been annouced that the Summit itself will be
virtual[1].

Please fill out the CIVS poll by August 3 at 15:00 UTC. We really
appreciate your feedback!

Poll:
https://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/vote.pl?id=E_a69944444a9b7c93&akey=3eccaa5b4fa5cfe6

There are obviously many pros and cons to each option, below are the
conflicts/reasons why we might not want to select that option.

Option 0 - Two weeks before Summit (October 5-9)
  * Conflicts with RC work
  * External Event Conflicts: None?

Option 1 - One week after Summit (October 26-30)
  * Halloween on Oct 31
  * Perfect for release timing but event fatigue is a real concern
  * External Event Conflicts:
    - Open Source Summit EU
    - ODSC Open Data Science Conference East
    - Cloud Foundry Summit EU
    - KVM Forum

Option 2 - Two weeks after the Summit (November 2-6)
  * USA Election day on Nov 3; could be a distraction, contributors
    needing to go vote (whatever that looks like with the virus),
    news, etc.
  * Event Conflicts: None?

Option 3 - Three weeks after the Summit (November 9-13)
  * Pushes far into the cycle (4 weeks after previous release, a bit
    late, Veterns day/holiday - may affect France and Germany and
    US)
  * External Events Conflicts: VMWorld EU

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2020-July/016068.html

--
Jeremy Stanley on behalf of The Kendalls (diablo_rojo & wendallkaters)