[Openinfralabs] Op1st community governance for review

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Dec 17 17:33:48 UTC 2021

On 2021-12-09 00:03:33 -0800 (-0800), Karsten Wade wrote:
[...]
> If there are any public (here) or private questions I can answer
> or discussions you need, please let me know. Sometimes 1:1
> discussions are needed to help move things forward, and it's my
> role to help.

Since the PR got approved without addressing my review comment[*]
(and those of others) about this, I'll re-raise the discussion here
instead. The approved text states:

    "We are using the upstream OpenInfra Foundation Code of Conduct
    until we can convene the new Community SIG to lead an open
    effort to create our own, modern code of conduct."

The goal with the Open Infrastructure Foundation's Community Code of
Conduct is that it be usable by all Open Infrastructure Projects,
including the OpenInfra Labs project and any of its subprojects like
Op1st. While Op1st having its own separate CoC is probably fine as
long as it also follows the foundation's Community CoC, it may also
be unnecessary duplication of effort and lead to confusion over
things like legal reporting channels for violations.

If you truly feel the existing CoC is not "modern" enough for Op1st
(predicting in the governance document that a separate one will be
required indicates there are known concerns with it on someone's
part at least), then please collaborate with the rest of the Open
Infrastructure community in order to help improve it rather than
assuming it's carved in stone (it's not!). Great places to start
that discussion would be on the foundation mailing list or at the
next Diversity and Inclusion WG meeting.

[*] https://github.com/operate-first/community/pull/107/files#r766205499
--
Jeremy Stanley