[Rust-VMM] [Rust-vmm] Goals for this list

Paolo Bonzini pbonzini at redhat.com
Wed Dec 19 22:42:53 UTC 2018

On 19/12/18 23:23, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>> virtio would be interesting.  One initial target could be a demo
>> vhost-user client, it has to set up a memory map, parse vrings, handle
>> endianness, etc.  It would be an interesting benchmark for a DMA API.
> Maybe.  I'll poke around.
>
> One challenge with DMA is that you have to decide whether you are only
> supporting synchronous DMA or you are also trying to support
> asynchronous DMA.
>
> My general preference is to avoid complex infrastructure and keep to
> simple traits.  A DMA trait can be pretty darn simple with all of the
> gooey logic being up to the implementor.  Not sure you would get
> meaningful benchmarks there.

Sorry, I meant benchmark in the (non-computer-science) dictionary
meaning, i.e. a basis to evaluate the API in a simplified but still
realistic scenario.  It would be more or less what you wrote in your
original message: a few full-fledged basic crates (mostly data_model, or
alternatively the Fuchsia one), a toyish implementation of standardized
memory map and DMA traits, and a sample application (vhost-user-blk).

Paolo